6/25/11

Thank you, Marvin!



It was not until the mid-'70s I decided I would like to have a rounded base on the necks of all doll conversions. Until then, we simply fitted the neck with a plug drilled for a headpost.

So I purchased a very nice 36" wood lathe and chisels with the goal of turning my own headposts. On the same day I set the lathe up in my shop a friend dropped by, and as I told him what I had in mind, he said he was looking for some side work to do in his own wood shop and asked if we could work something out where he could make the headposts for me. That was the start of a long partnership.

So today, some 35 years and I-don't-know-how-many-thousands of headposts (which my friend called "dummy sticks") later, I realized I was holding the final three headposts from my inventory made by Marvin Tevebaugh. And I have yet to turn the first one on my wood lathe. In fact, it will never happen, because I no longer own a wood lathe!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Mr. D.
    I was wondering if you can get any more of those, possibly get someone to make them and sell on e-bay. Bill

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been making my own, using the rounded end of a PVC end cap as the "ball".

    ReplyDelete