4/10/10

Mexican Marionettes!

From Doug Nearpass

Mexican Marionettes!
Who of us hasn't had at least one in our collection?! You know what I think is so funny? I've never known anyone to actually bring one home from Mexico! I've seen dozens of them at flea markets, but never known anyone who's been to Mexico to have bought one there. I think they sneak them into tourist's suitcases, and then when they get home, they just sell them at flea markets! lol!

The other thing I think is funny, is the fact that the people at the flea markets think these are good, artsy, quality puppets! They put high prices on them, and want to bicker the price up! They don't realize that they come a dime a dozen, and they're made for tourists! Consequently, I've never bought one at a flea market. I, too, have had them given to me by someone who kindly thought of me when they saw them.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous4/11/2010

    Okay, I was one of those people who brought them home from Mexico. Did I ever think they were quality, in hopes to use them? No, my intention all long was to use them as a conversation wall hanging, and they have been great for that. It added color, humor, and fun to a very dull dark room. Now they have been passed on to a Spanish teacher, who uses them to decorate her wall in her classroom. Maybe their true intention was for cheap decoration? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Doug, I live in Texas and I see these marionettes everywhere, HOWEVER I do need to alert Clinton's readers about a rare mexican marionette that I have been looking for my collection now going on 20 years and I have seen only one in a MUSEUM, yes, a mexican cheap marionette in a MUSEUM, why??? it is a Paul McCartney of the Beatles marionette, I have a photo that I keep to see if I ever see one for sale, it can fetch up to $200 in mint condition.
    I will email Clinton a photo if he wants to post, anyone see one for sale CALL ME!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous4/11/2010

    I actually have two from Mexico. I got them when I went to go visit family over there. I agree they are over priced. I bought 2 of them for about 3 dollars probably even less.

    ReplyDelete