4/3/10

Historical? Or, Practical?






I need to tell you the history behind this puppet before it sells on eBay. This is actually the prototype of all the "Talking Ball Bats" that I have built. Built in the early '80s, it is now some 25+ years old. And well traveled! It's been to Vent Haven for workshops at least twice. Same with the FCM conferences (including Winona Lake), I-Fest and a number of regional presentations. And it still works perfectly! Historical? Certainly. But a very practical novelty puppet for some ventriloquist as well. The photo on the left is from the early '8Os; the photo on the right was taken today. The bat's appearance has changed very little, but the fellow holding it has changed more than he'd like to admit!

Adelia suggested I donate this to the Museum, but I told her I need to sell it to help raise funds to pay for the postage to ship all the prizes and gifts we're giving away! Here's the eBay auction link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290420288073&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous4/03/2010

    Wish I had some dough right now Clinton, I don't try for your generous prizes, but If I could buy this off ebay, that would help you, & I would donate the bat to vent haven in your name!! Just a SLIGHT hint to the upcoming ebay winner :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clinton
    Thanks to you I have already purchased slugger and he has put many a smile on quite a few kids faces as well as my own, must say he works well and is a great addition to my gang...I have not had slugger out in some time and brought him out today thanks to this message. We talked about spring training and the game of yesteryear, he was lucky he has missed the pine tar insidents..

    ReplyDelete
  3. The important thing to remember is that the ventriloquial figure, br it boy, girl, or bat,
    is ageless, doesn’t get any older, and will keep you as young as when first became interested in the art, or as here made the prototype bat. If you were age 12 when you first became interested you will forever be that age when you pick up the figure. If you became interested at age 50, you will forever be that old when you handle the figure. I'll bet Mr. D feels the same in photo on right as did in photo on left when he picks up that bat. Words need not necessarily be spoken, as the main connection is movement, simply handling the figure, engaging the controls, and pretending conversation if nothing else.

    ReplyDelete