3/6/09

Closing A Kidshow

CLOSING A KIDSHOW WITH AN ANIMAL PUPPET;
IT'S JUST SMART BUSINESS!

By Mark Wade

I am a firm believer of starting and ending shows with a vent puppet or figure. I like to think of these as the pillars of the program...the strong beams holding the show together. And afterall, isn't it the allure of the puppet that says "ventriloquist" to the audience? The distant voice and baby cry are important but not the pillars of the show.

Using a strong animal character at the end of a kidshow is just smart business. It's the last thing the kids remember about your show, and leaves that lasting impression. In other writings I have mentioned that kids like puppets in this order: 1. animal puppets; 2. people puppets; 3. object puppets (like a talking globe, soccer ball,etc.) . I am closing my current school show with an alligator puppet and he "kills" with the young audience. Do yourself a favor, leave the kind of impression that you want with the audience by closing with one of our animal friends (as long as the puppet is friendly and not scarey). You'll make a lot of kid friends if you do! I guarantee it!

Newsy Vents 10/2005

No comments:

Post a Comment